Innovative’s HFC Network Experiences Interruptions Due To Intermittent Modem Hang-ups On St. Thomas
St. Thomas, St. John and St. Croix, USVI – May 3, 2016– Innovative, the leading telecommunications provider in the U.S. Virgin Islands, advises its customers that, due to a technical problem at the hub serving Charlotte Amalie, approximately 1,500 subscriber modems have hung-up. This has affected customers who have been converted to its Hybrid-Fiber Coaxial (HFC) network in the Charlotte Amalie area of St. Thomas.
Nauzer Mistry, Vice President of Engineering and Operations, stated “Because of a technical issue with our Arris equipment, Innovative experienced this interruption on the HFC network, which is served out of the Charlotte Amalie hub. The technical issue in our Central Office is causing cable modems to be unresponsive and has affected over 1,500 customers today. During these situations, Innovative customers will experience no dial tone on their landlines and the loss of internet service.”
Innovative’s engineering team has been working with the vendor to address this situation and the vendor recommended a major equipment upgrade at the hub sites. This project has been launched and Innovative is diligently working with the vendor to upgrade the equipment. Innovative anticipates that the upgrade for all impacted HFC hubs will be complete within the next 60 days.
The Innovative engineering team has an immediate solution to restore service to customers who have been affected. Customers are advised that they can restore their service by manually resetting their modem.
In order to reestablish communications, subscribers must perform a “hard reset,” which involves the following steps:
- Unplug the AC power to the modem and remove the battery.
- Wait approximately 15 seconds then plug the modem AC power back in and reinsert the battery. The modem will begin to register with the network, and the lights should flash in the following sequence:
eMTA (modem) boot sequence:
- Power LED: Flashing then solid green.
- Downstream/Receive LED: Flashing then solid green, blue or amber.
- Upstream/Send LED: Flashing then solid green, blue or amber.
- Online LED: Flashing then solid green.
- Link LED: Amber/Flashing if Internet service is configured and CPE is connected.
- Link LED: is off if Internet service is not configured or CPE is not connected.
- Telephone1/Tel1 LED: Flashing then solid green if configured, if not remains flashing.
- Telephone2/Tel2 LED: Flashing then solid green if configured, if not remains flashing.
- In the event that the hard reset does not work, Innovative asks its customers to contact its repair department
at 912 for wireless customers and an Innovative trained technician will assist them.
Mistry concluded, “We apologize to our customers for these service interruptions and we will continue to work
until this issue is permanently resolved.”
Customers experiencing interruptions of their landline or internet service are encouraged to use the information
provided below to call the Innovative Repairs department for assistance.
For cable TV or phone repairs, Innovative customers calling from landlines should dial 912. The hours of
operation are 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. from Monday through Friday and on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays from
8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Customers utilizing wireless phones can reach Repairs at (340) 778-1742 or by using the
following link: http://www.livehelpnow.net/lhn/TicketsVisitor.aspx?lhnid=22785. Please have available the
telephone number, statement number, address, description of problem and brief directions.
For assistance with high-speed data/Internet service, customers should call (340) 779-9999 and press 4 or call
(340) 714-3700 directly for technical support assistance.
Customer service is also available for wireless customers directly at (340) 777-8899.
Innovative customers may also report a service problem online by visiting our website http://www.innovative.vi.
Customers should fill out the form and select “Service Repairs” as the category. Additional information is also
available on our website at www.innovative.vi.